A couple of general things to update on at this time. I was way too tired to do it last week so figured I’d send a quick update all at once.
BRCA genetic testing
I received my results back last week. Turns out, I do not carry the gene mutation that cancer researchers currently know about. Good news is that puts me in the ‘normal population’ averages for chances of getting ovarian cancer. I will have to speak to my oncologist about the chances of a reoccurrence of breast cancer, but the chances will definitely be lower than if I did carry the gene mutation.
So the only downside of being a non-carrier is that it does not explain how I got the disease in the first place. To be honest, part of me was a tiny bit disappointed when I heard I was negative. I think I was hoping it would somehow explain how this happened. I know, I know – sometimes it just happens. But I think a part of me is still looking for an explanation. And maybe I will never get one. Or maybe it will take a few more years of research to discover why.
Regardless, I’m happy to know that I am a non-carrier and that my outcomes look a little more positive than if I had been a carrier.
Radiation vs Surgery
I saw the Radiation oncologist today and his recommendation is to have surgery first, followed by radiation. He said that likely 4 weeks after I am done chemo, I will have surgery and 6 weeks after that I will start my radiation treatments. My treatments will run over a course of 5.5 weeks and I will have to go in every day.
I called the surgeon’s office after I was done and have an appointment to see my surgeon towards the end of October. They are going to work on getting me a surgery date which will likely be mid-November. Although I might get pushed to January if timing doesn’t work out – the OR isn’t open over Christmas. I am not exactly sure when I will know – but maybe I will call back later in the week to chat a bit more…I was a little overwhelmed this morning to really figure out what I needed to ask.
This could all change as my Surgeon will have the last say. She might say that she wants radiation first in order to be better prepared for the surgery. But I am not sure when/if that call will be made.
I’m still trying to process all this information, but that’s the brief update for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment