Tuesday, 18 October 2011

#8

Yesterday I headed back to the cancer agency for my final treatment. I’d like to say it was the final time I would have to go there, but I still have many more doctor’s appointments, Herceptin injections and eventually radiation to come. However, it was the last time I would be receiving chemo and that is something to happy about!

This time we got our own room with just the three of us (Dad, Cayley and I) in there. I sat on a bed with my legs up and we played a few games of crib. Cayley had never played before, so it was fun to teach him. Plus it was also fun to beat my dad every time – no easy feat I assure you!

The treatment took around 2:45 hours to complete and then I was out of there! Felt pretty good and just a little amped up afterwards.

We headed home to prepare for the pizza party celebration I had planned for a few friends. Since I wasn’t able to celebrate in the usual fashion (drinking, dancing, causing a ruckus, etc ;) ) I thought that throwing a party like a little kid would be the next best thing.

It was super fun. Lots of people stopped by with their congratulations and well wishes. We laughed a lot and I had a really good time seeing all these amazing people who have supported me over the last 5+ months.

5 months ago I sat here and wrote about my first treatment. About not knowing what to expect, about being scared, but knowing it had to be done. It felt like 5-6 months was such a long haul.

Well today, I can tell you what I expect next – 10 very difficult upcoming days. I’ll be tired, I’ll be emotional, I’ll have to take injections for 6 days, steroids for 7, and I’ll have to start thinking about preparing for my upcoming surgery. I’m not scared about these next few days – I know what’s coming, but I also know it will shortly be over and I can put this chemo thing behind me. 5-6 months was a long haul – but I had some great support and really fun things to look forward to (weddings, graduations, birthdays, babies, etc) to help get me through.

8 down, 0 to go! 10 days left of ‘ugly’ and then I should be in full recovery mode! My body/mind is definitely excited about that! I made it. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment