Sunday, 16 October 2011

Pre-treatment Doc visit

Friday was a very busy day for me. It was Cayley’s birthday, a chance for me to meet up with a friend who was out of town, work, a birthday party for both Cayley and my other friend, and two appointments at the cancer centre.

One of the appointments was my routine check-in prior to my chemo session. This time I was back with Dr. Taylor, my original oncologist. I have mentioned it before, and I’ll say it again, I really like her. She’s straight forward, takes time to answer any questions I have, and I truly feel she is doing what is best for my care.

She gave me a new prescription to deal with the rash/allergy symptoms I had starting day 10 last time – they got pretty yucky – purple eyes, blotchy skin, crazy watery eyes. So hopefully it works…to be honest, if not, well, only one left….

She also examined my chest. As she was doing so on the left side, she said to me “I’m on the correct side aren’t I?” I told her she was and she replied “Well you know that’s a good sign isn’t it?” I said “It means you can’t really feel anything so you think you are on the wrong side??” And she told me that if she didn’t know where it was, she wouldn’t likely know there was anything there. She said she could feel dense tissue, but nothing like it was. She told me she was really impressed by that. Now I don’t know her very well, but to me, it seems like it would take a lot to impress her, so I was very happy!

We also talked about my upcoming surgery. She told me that the best result would be that Dr. Kuusk does the mastectomy and finds nothing. I shouldn’t think that I have had it done for no reason because those people are the ones with the best overall outcomes in the end. I guess it means they got all the cancer, and even if there are some microscopic cancer cells remaining, now, with no tissue left, they won’t be able to grow back.

That put me at ease. In fact the whole appointment went really well. Well, except the part where I had to get weighed and discovered I had gained weight again. I know that it’s a very common side effect and I know that it’s better than losing weight, but it’s just really hard to deal with at times. I mean c’mon, I’m already bald, my eyebrows and eyelashes are almost gone, my eyes have red around the lids – I already don’t look that great and now most of my clothes don’t fit…curses.

But on the positive side, things seem to be working well. I have only one more treatment left and then I can go shopping for new clothes ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment