Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Did you know?

Yesterday I was at Paragon Pharmacy and started browsing the card section. Cayley was on a mission to find his Dad the perfect birthday card, so I had a bunch of time to take a look. I figured I’d start looking for wedding cards as mid-August starts a big run of wedding celebrations. Here is where we come to the “Did you know” portion of the program.

Did you know they make greeting cards for people going through cancer?

No joke! You know how behind the slot for the cards are little signs that say “Thank You” or “Happy Anniversary” or “Get Well” describing the type of card you are about to look at….well there is a section in the card store that says “Cancer”. More specifically, there was one titled “Mid-Treatment”.

I was baffled. Two thoughts ran through my mind:

1.) Dread

2.) Genius

Let me explain. I first had a horrible feeling of dread – can there be that many people that have to go through this that there is a greeting card business? But as I picked up one of the cards to take a look, I quickly realized what a genius idea it is. Whoever made these cards is amazing. And no, I am not just saying that because of my sometimes ‘businessy’ type mind. ;)

I picked up a card in the “Mid-Treatment” section - since I had just finished the mid-way point of my treatment, it seemed appropriate place to start. I will reiterate – genius. This card was funny, light, and so caring and thoughtful and pretty much captured exactly how I felt at that moment. I couldn’t believe it…it was maybe only 50 words, but they were such great words!

I picked up another one – again, amazing! I felt like buying all them just to have at my house to look at and read over and over. How is it that this greeting card seems to know exactly what to say? Better yet, how does it know what to say, when I am the one who has cancer and I don’t even know what to say most of the time?

So there is your “I learned something new” moment of today – there is a business making greeting cards for people going through cancer…and the writers are geniuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment