Since my last post I have been doing a few things to keep me busy. The fun parts – going to SF to see my classmates graduate, throwing a staggette/shower for my dear friend, being the maid-of-honour at her wedding. The not-so-fun parts – lying on my couch as I can’t do much else, mouth sores, stomach pains, general aches and pains, and feeling pretty useless.
Bouncing back from treatment #5 took longer than I anticipated. I figured that since the nausea side effects are not associated with this drug, I’d bounce back really quickly. How wrong I was. Apparently muscle and joint aches, stomach pains, fatigue are all very common side-effects to this drug and take a lot longer to recover from.
The trip to SF was case in point. I spent a lot of time in our room lying down, resting and trying to feel better. Luckily, we were staying in Union Square so I was able to go out for an hour, come back in and lie down, go out for another hour, go back.
Graduation day came for my friends, and I was so worried I would not feel well. It took me forever to get moving and get ready. But once I got to the ceremonies, things started feeling really great! The staff at Hult had saved spots in the front row for Cayley and I! It was awesome because my classmates walked right by me after receiving their degree. I was so proud of my classmates and cheered as loud as I could and gave tonnes of hugs as people walked by.
The trip was really great to see everyone and get reconnected. I felt so proud to see everyone graduate. At the same time, I felt a tiny bit of sadness that I could not be with them. It’s hard to imagine how it will be when I graduate without all of them there. But to be honest, the pride and celebration I felt for my friends completely outweighed any sadness I felt…I was so excited for everyone!
After we returned home from SF I had a few more complications with side effects that left me lying on the couch for a few days. An uncommon, but not unheard of, side-effect of this drug is mouth sores…and boy did I get them. I couldn’t eat anything. Spicy, sour, hot, bitter, acidicy foods were all off the menu. Pretty much pudding and mashed yams were on the menu. I was miserable. I couldn’t eat because it hurt, I couldn’t move because everything else hurt. I was really weapy and was so worried that I wouldn’t be able to really participate in my friend’s stagette and wedding…I was the maid-of-honour and was going to be siting on the side-lines?? Yikes.
But after two days of rest, I magically started to feel better. Part of me thinks it’s because I had such great friends around me during the festivities…we laughed, we told fun stories from the past, we celebrated our friend. But more about that in the next post ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment