As Canuck fever is sweeping BC, I find myself thinking about winning…but not about ‘grand-prize’ winning (like the Canucks will win the Stanley Cup!), but about ‘small wins’. I mean, the Canucks surely had a goal of winning the cup this playoff season, but to get there they needed to beat the Blackhawks, the Predators, the Sharks, and now the Bruins. And each of those series requires 4 games of winning. Each of those games required 3 periods of play, 20 minutes each, of playing hard. There are ups (hard hits, goals, amazing saves) and downs (being scored on, sloppy play, losing the game). Each period/game/play can result in a “win” or a “loss”.
So why am I bringing up the Canucks and hockey? Besides the fact that I am Canadian (and that’s all we think about right???), I’m starting to think more and more about celebrating the small wins. My treatment is going to last a lot longer than I would like and likely going to be harder than I can even imagine. However, there are some small wins to celebrate!
My Aunty Carol came to visit me this week and it has been amazing to see her (and no, I’m not just saying that because I know she is going to read this…). We have been visiting, going out to eat, shopping, getting pedicures, watching the Canucks (and by the way, she predicted Torres would score the winner last night!!!), and just hanging out. It’s been really great to have her here, even though I couldn’t provide better weather :(
We also went to my Doctor’s appointment yesterday. Things went well – the doc thinks the lump has regressed from moving toward my skin’s surface. She is a bit concerned about my throat still hurting, so we are pushing my next treatment until Monday. This was a small win I really needed. Being treated on Friday was fine, but then if something was going a little “off” on the weekend, I’d have to call emergency. Not my favourite thing to do. This part really stressed me out and I’d wait until the last possible minute to call…again not great. Now, if something goes awry, I can just go to the clinic and see the doctors or nurses who know my situation.
It also makes me feel a LOT better about upcoming weekends. I will get to attend my friend’s wedding shower on Saturday, my friends from school will be visiting in a few weeks, there are plenty of weddings to attend this summer, and I should be feeling okay for most of them. Talk about “small wins”!
Anyways, I’m feeling a lot better and more informed about my upcoming treatment plan, but there still is a lot of “let’s wait and see”. So I will continue to try and celebrate the small wins and maybe even enjoy a few weekends! In the meantime, I’ll be cheering hard to help the Canucks celebrate their BIG WIN! Go Canucks!
No comments:
Post a Comment