The dietitian from the cancer agency called me early this week to discuss how I can help my body throughout this whole ordeal through my diet.
Lesson #1 – Protein is the name of the game.
Apparently cancer cells like nutrients, so they rob your body from what it would normally take from what you eat. This means the nutritional requirements while undergoing this treatment are way higher than they normally would be. Specifically, protein gets depleted quickly. In addition, chemo is really hard on your body and to help it repair faster protein is the key. It will likely be like that for recovering from surgery as well. The dietitian said it was really important for me to have some type of protein at every meal.
Lesson #2 – weight needs to remain stable.
Basically, if I am losing weight, it’s not great and if I’m gaining weight, not great. If I start to go down, time to bring on the fats – likewise if I start to go up, time to lower the fat intake. She did point out that heart healthy fats are best – veggie oils, seeds/nuts, avocados, coconut milk, etc.
Lesson #3 – avoid high doses of vitamins and antioxidants.
Two reasons for this – 1.) cancer cells like high concentrations of vitamins such as Vitamin C, D, Calcium, and if you take a pill form of the vitamin, it can make treatment not as effective. 2.) high doses of antioxidants in pill form will hinder the performance of the chemo drugs. So basically, get my vitamins through the food I eat.
We also talked about my eating habits before I was diagnosed vs now. Since early 2010, I had tried to eat a more “vegan-ish” diet – no dairy, no meats (other than fish), and I also tried to really minimize my sugar intake. I did this to have a more healthy diet and try to keep diseases at bay. I wasn’t a ‘perfect vegan’ – I did eat fish after all, and I’m not going to lie, Mac&Cheese often got the best of me during late night study sessions. (I blame that all on Trader Joe’s and their amazing microwave-able mac&cheese!). Cayley came up with the perfect term for me – a “con-vegan”, as he said when it was ‘convenient’ for me not to be vegan (ie Mac&Cheese attack!) I wasn’t. ;)
However, that eating lifestyle will have to be put on hold for the next little while. The dietitian said that right now, while I am not eating the quantity I used to, my body needs all my food to pack the biggest protein and nutrient-rich punches it can. She said to let myself eat whatever my body wanted, and to ensure that protein was ALWAYS in my diet. Animal products have the most ‘complete’ proteins (easier for the body to use more efficiently), but plant-proteins and protein powders are a way to go as well. She did say that once I was done all this to go back to the way I had eaten before, as it was a very healthy diet.
Good news is, cheese packs a bit of a protein punch…let’s just hope Kelowna gets a Trader Joe’s in the next few months ;)
Two words: Beef Jerky. Buy it by the metric tonne. We can go halfers
ReplyDelete