Yesterday was treatment #2 for me and it went a lot smoother than the first time. The port-a-cath makes things run a lot smoother and I was out of there in around 2.5 hours. Dad and Cayley came with me again but I had a new nurse this time. I guess I will get a new one each time, depending on who is working that day. Her name was Danielle and she was really nice as well. Also from Saskatchewan so Cayley of course likes her too.
Felt pretty okay yesterday…just a some instances of feeling nauseas and having a bit of a headache, but overall, not too bad…that is, until the Canucks forgot the game lasts more than one period! D’oh!!! We’ll get Boston in game 4!
Had a fairly busy weekend and for the most part, it was nice and normal. Met some of Cayley’s extended family, went to a terrific bridal shower for my friend and subsequent stagette, had a nice family dinner with the crew (steak Sunday got move to Saturday due to the Canucks game), and then headed out to say goodbye to an old friend for his last day of work.
My friend had worked/owned this restaurant downtown for around 9 years and it was the location of many good times. So we popped by to have a drink and share a few laughs. It was great to meet up with some of the old crew and reminisce and I will definitely miss some of the fun times we had there.
I said goodbye to another old friend this weekend, my hair. I thought I would be very vain…never showing anyone my head, wearing a wig at all times, etc etc. Well that lasted about a car ride home of wearing a loaner wig. My poor scalp is so sensitive right now.
So far, it’s not my favourite…I really don’t like going out wearing a scarf or a hat. You can try and say no one will notice, but then I look in the mirror and it’s so obvious. The wig I got is not the greatest, and my custom one isn’t in yet, so I went and got another one for when I have to go out. The hardest part is, I feel so normal until I look in the mirror. I am sure I will get over it quickly…heck, I’ve already shown it to 3 more people than I thought I would ;) But it definitely gives me a lump in my throat thinking about going out. Even going to the cancer clinic yesterday was not a great feeling, and those people see folks like me all the time.
But I will have to suck it up and put on something for heading out tonight, as I will be attending a workshop on how to “look good and feel better” when you are going through all this stuff. Thankfully, my dear friend will be accompanying me, and if nothing else, I’ll get to experience first-hand some of the really great work I had been promoting for all those years at the Canadian Cancer Society.
2 down, 6 to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment