Thursday, 23 June 2011

Medium update 3 - Alaska

While I was at the cancer clinic last week, I asked two of my doctors on what they thought about me traveling while on treatment. I love traveling and seeing new places, but I also don’t want to put my health at risk and knock my treatment off-course. However, I had some really great travel plans made prior to being diagnosed so I really needed some advice on what to do.

Going through this has been really tough, but I am trying really really hard not to let it change who I am too much. Yes, I am more of a hermit these days, I rest a lot more, and I forget things a lot quicker. At the moment I can’t be as active as I normally am, and I am limited to the time I should be in the sun. But I still feel like I am mostly the same – the activities can resume next week after my “6-weeks of doing nothing but walking and riding a bike to protect my surgery” are up. I do get out to events to see people, I just don’t stay as long. But traveling was one thing I was always doing and now…well I just don’t know if I can.

To top it off, this wasn’t just traveling to sight-see or explore a new place – the kind of travel that can be done at almost any time. This was traveling to see two of my dear friends get married in Alaska (ie you can’t just go whenever you want…there is a specific day attached to a wedding!).

Two major concerns with this travel – a.) being on a plane for that long increases my chances of catching something that my immune system is not prepared to fight right now, and b.) it’s a different country, where my Canadian medical coverage is not valid.

I asked two of my doctors if going was a smart idea or not. Dr. Mohamed – the radiation doc – said that he didn’t think it was a good idea. I had prepared myself for that response, but it still didn’t stop me from shedding some tears in his office. He said that I should ask Dr. Taylor – my oncologist – as she was more closely tied to my treatment at the moment and she would have the final say.

As I may have mentioned before, Dr. Taylor is a great doctor and her style is very cut and dry. I love that about her as I know I can trust that when she says “no” it means no and there is no changing her mind. But when she says “yes” it means she truly thinks it will be okay for my health.

Not to bore you with the details, but Dr. Taylor said it would probably be okay and I could go! I have to be super careful that if I am getting even a slight fever, to rush straight to the hospital. Other than that, take some precautions while I am traveling (ie wearing a mouth/nose mask on the plane, washing my hands constantly, etc), and it should be okay.

A nurse called me a few days later to check-in and I asked her about traveling as well. She said one of the most important things I can do is have fun and do things I enjoy. She said to take precautions, but to really enjoy myself and my time with my friends as it was an important part of getting me through this as well.

So next weekend I’ll be packing a small bag, a fun dress, and lots of anti-bacterial wipes for my trip to Alaska. My only goal for this trip is to make the two wedding activities...oh and to try and stay out as late as my friend who is 5.5 months pregnant with a 2 year old in tow ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment