Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Gratitude

Lately, I haven’t had the greatest of days…nothing seems to be going easy or smoothly - for example; I’ve been given a million numbers to call to get a hold of someone, who then tells me I have the wrong department. My frustrations seem to be quick to surface…one minute I am fine, the next really mad/sad/upset,etc. My body seemed to handle the chemotherapy alright, but I still was not quite feeling normal, I get winded quite easily, and am really tired.

Friday is the day I have surgery to have my Port-a-Cath put in. Yesterday after waiting 3.5 hours in the pre-surgery section of the hospital for routine tests, I finally went home, exhausted and drained and ready for bed. That’s when I received a text from my dear friend Erin who was in town for work. I had forgotten which day it was and that she was in town and part of me could only think “but I really just want to sleep”….but then tough-Aidan voice came out and made me get out of bed to go see her. Boy, am I glad I did.

There is nothing like a great friend to turn things immediately around. I saw Erin and almost instantaneously I felt better. I went home later that night and slept the best (and longest) I have in a while.

This whole “scenario” I find myself in has me thinking a lot about gratitude and being grateful for the good things in my life. I suppose everyone thinks about how they are grateful for things here and there, but I really have been thinking hard about just how unbelievably lucky I am. Here are just a few:

First - I live in Kelowna and while it is not the biggest city it does have some amazing qualities…like a cancer centre a mere 10 minute drive from my house. I have read about people from my hometown in Nelson who have had to drive to Trail, an hour away, for ALL their appointments. That would have made my yesterday over 5.5 hours! I definitely am thankful and grateful to have such good care, close to home.

Second – I was asked today by a few different people if the cancer was in both breasts, my lymph nodes, etc, and I was able to say no. Very thankful for that as well.

Third – I have the BEST friends and family in the world. Now I know you are probably sitting there saying, “well I have the best friends/family…”, but you can’t possibly, unless they are the same friends as mine. No really, they are unreal.

I went for lunch with two of them today, who have always been supportive and outstanding, and I was given a really amazing gift. I hear many of you might be in on this gift, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

I honestly can’t even type how appreciative I am…I really can’t. I am stunned by the generosity and kindness shown of my friends/family. I cried (of course) and I even well-up with tears typing this…I honestly do not know what to say other than Thank You. I am so very very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment