Monday, 25 July 2011

Pre-chemo #4 update

Today I headed back to the cancer center for my pre-chemo check-in. I met with Dr. Smatanova (I have NO idea how to spell that one) who was yet another Doctor assigned to me. Today the clinic was busier than usual – due to losing a day to the upcoming long weekend, they try and fit everyone in during the surrounding weeks. While I was waiting, the pharmacist at the clinic came and chatted with me.

The pharmacist’s name is Judith and she is awesome. My brother’s friend knows her from his practicum days and has nothing but respect for this woman – and I can see why. She is nice, funny, realistic, very educated, takes the time to answer all your questions, explains everything so that anyone could understand, and has a terrific smile that puts me right at ease.

Today she saw me waiting in the area and came to ask me if I had incurred much cost with for the injections I need to take to stimulate my bone marrow growth. Apparently she had access to some funding that might have helped if I had needed it. She also sat there with me and answered a few questions I had lingering.

Turns out, I will still need to be on the medication I am on for indigestion throughout my treatment. I will also need to take the needles again – guess I better make plans to either a.) figure out how to do it myself, or b.) bribe my nurse friends with lots of treats to get them to do it for me!

The treatment I have on Wednesday will be #4 and will be the last batch of the chemo drugs I am currently on. Treatment #5 will consist of a new drug which will have different side-effects. Thankfully the nausea, indigestion, mouth/throat sores will be minimized. The more unpleasant side-effects will be a lot of aches and pains. It will depend on how my body decides to react to it, but hopefully it will be a little easier to manage starting on #5.

This is great news as I have plenty of weddings and other shindigs to attend starting mid-August! I would like to be feeling as good as possible for those.

While I was waiting to see the Doctor, I read about a study that is being done at the BC Cancer Agency with regards to cancer and carbohydrates. Apparently cancer likes carbs and this study is suggesting that minimizing carb intake will help with recovery. So my “all protein all the time” diet might just have to be kicked up a little! The study looked really interesting and promising so I am going to try and eat plenty of proteins and not as many carbs/sugars to see if it helps with my recovery process.

Other than that, things are pretty much the same. I ran 3 times last week and did yoga twice. I’m hoping to run today, tomorrow, and Wednesday morning before my treatment so that I keep up with the exercise plan. I still get tired really easily and find that the sun is a little much to handle right now – I actually am a fan of this cooler summer weather we have been having!

Treatment #4 is on Wednesday, so if you are in the neighbourhood and want to stop by, I’d love some company. And you can help me get rid of the sugars in my house by eating all the treats! (talk about a great bribe! ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment