Wednesday, 7 September 2011

#6

Yesterday I headed back to the cancer clinic for treatment #6. This treatment was the same as #5 in terms of the drugs I needed to take, but this time it was supposed to be a lot quicker.

We got going around 10:20am with my Herceptin IV. This time I was given the IV over 1 hour as opposed to 1.5 hours. I also only needed to be monitored for 30 minutes instead of 1 hour. Eventually I will be down to receiving the Herceptin over 30 minutes with no need to be monitored.

Next up was the Docetoxal which was to be given over an hour. I got to wear the lovely cold gloves again, but this time it wasn’t as bad. My one finger still is has a number sensation from last time, but the Doc seems to think that is from the drugs, not the ice gloves.

The chemo IV bag seemed to be draining pretty fast so I asked the nurse if it was going too fast. She seemed to think it was okay, but went and asked the pharmacists just to be sure. They said the mix of drugs was correct and that it was fine. But to me, it didn’t make sense. I was supposed to be given the IV over an hour, yet I was done around 40 minutes. It made me a bit worried – even into last night…will I get a call today saying I have to go back and get more?

After sleeping, I felt a lot better about things and am going to try not to worry at all. The drugs are definitely in my system!

How do I know? Well, I’m weepy, emotional, tired, and a little sore. Nothing too too crazy, but definitely leaves me stuck to the house a bit. We did get out for a 30 minute walk last night, and I am going to try and keep that up. It’s just so hard to get motivated some days…okay most days. And by the time it gets cool enough outside for me to go for a walk, I feel super tired. But I need to make a point of getting out and exercising – it will help with recovery, my upcoming surgery, and my overall mental health.

I’ve also developed some irritations on my skin – my one eye is really dry, itchy and red on the lid, my port-site was really red from the adhesive needed to attach the IV to my chest, and the skin behind my one ear is getting really dry. Apparently this is all from the copious amounts of drugs in my system. I have only 1 more day of chemo meds to take, but then tomorrow I start my injections again…this time I need to take 6! Yikes. But they are working so I need to be happy about that. Just might be a little hard to do 4 of the injections while out of town this week.

I have an appointment with my plastic surgeon on Friday down in Vancouver, so I will see what she says. Moving on, one step at a time.

Then I will get the immense pleasure of being a bridesmaid in one of my best friends from high school’s wedding! I cannot wait to see her and be part of their big day.

6 down, only 2 to go! Almost there.

No comments:

Post a Comment